NOTE: At Virginia Tech, International students with F1 & J1 Visas are required to have health insurance either through the school Student Health Insurance Plan or a comparable plan. If you want to opt out of the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan, read the insurance requirements and complete the required waiver form below.
*These requirements apply for international students with a F1 visa that are taking 3 or more credit hours and all international students with an J1 visa. *
- The policy must offer adequate care within a 50-mile radius of the campus enrollment.
- The policy deductible must be $500 per accident or illness or less.
- The policy must have major medical benefits of at least $500,000 per accident or illness.
- The policy must provide a minimum of $25,000 for repatriation of remains AND $50,000 medical evacuation to the home country.
- Medical expenses for pregnancy, childbirth and complications of pregnancy must be treated as any other illness under the policy, regardless of gender.
- The policy must offer prescription medication coverage (after co-pays) with a minimum of $500,000 per insured per policy year.
- The policy must cover outpatient and inpatient mental health care as any other illness.
- The policy must have NO internal caps coverage, including services, treatment or surgery.
- The policy must have NO pre-existing condition waiting period
- For students entering in the Fall: The coverage of the policy must be valid from either August 1, 2022 or the first day of classes begin at Virginia Tech until July 31, 2023 or, if graduating, the last day of the month of the student’s graduation.
- For students entering in the Spring: The coverage of the policy must be valid from either January 1, 2023 or the first day of classes (January 18, 2023) begin at Virginia Tech until July 31, 2023 or, if graduating, the last day of the month of the student’s graduation.
NOTE: New students taking classes in Spring 2023 can start submitting waivers on December 16th. All waivers must be submitted by January 31st, 2023.
- Spring 2023 Waiver - make sure you are signed in to your VT account to access
- Steps to upload waiver
- 2022-2023 F2 and J2 Dependents Wavier/Requirements
If your waiver has been rejected and you would like to file an appeal, please click on the link below to click on the form to submit. When completed, please send to SMI@vt.edu.