Any travel involves risk. Please reference the resources below to help you plan your travel safely and in compliance with University requirements. Renting a vehicle? Refer to our Auto Insurance page for detailed information.
University-sponsored international travel is governed by University Policy 1070. Virginia Tech's International Travel site provides detailed policies, procedures, and more depending on your status at the University, where you are going, and what you are doing. The Office of Risk Management does provide several types of international insurance, and information on those policies can be found on our International Insurance page.
Here are some quick tips as you prepare to travel:
- Travelers should make sure their passport is valid at least six months after returning home and has two or more blank pages, or some countries may not let them enter.
- Alert your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling abroad with your travel dates. Ask if your credit or debit cards will work in the country you are visiting.
- Research the electrical plugs and voltages for your travel destination. You may need to purchase converters and adapters prior to departure.
- Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.
- Assemble a carry-on bag to include all items that you cannot afford to lose such as passport, medications, one day of clothes, etc.