Virginia Tech® home

Auto Insurance

The Commonwealth of Virginia provides auto liability coverage for all state-insured vehicles. Virginia Tech also provides optional comprehensive collision insurance for specific vehicles.

The Commonwealth's insurance program provides $2,000,000 per occurrence automobile liability coverage through a program of self-insurance for drivers of State licensed vehicles used for official business purposes. Automobile Liability coverage is automatically placed on vehicles when State License Plates are obtained.  Departments have the option to place comprehensive and collision insurance on vehicles ($1,000 deductible) or elect not to carry the coverage.  A request must be initiated by the Department and sent to the Office of Risk Management.  Accidents with State Vehicles on official business of the university should be reported in accordance with the checklist printed in this section. All accidents must be reported to the insurer of the vehicle.  There are no insurance restrictions regarding university vehicles. Use of State Vehicles for personal use is prohibited. 

It is recommended that any person driving a university vehicle first meet the following conditions: 
a) Have a valid driver’s license. 
b) Have no serious driving offenses related to the purpose for which they are going (which could include such offenses as speeding, driving under the influence, driving without a license, etc.) to use the vehicle. This information may be requested directly of the driver or you may request the driver to provide you with a Division of Motor Vehicle Report. 
c) Have department approval to use the vehicle.

The Commonwealth’s insurance program applies to vehicles rented by the University.  When vehicles are rented in the United States, the optional automobile insurance for liability and collision available from the rental company should be declined.  When vehicles are rented internationally (excluding Canada, Puerto Rico and the US. Virgin Islands), the optional automobile insurance for liability and collision available from the rental company is required.  Special attention should be used to check for damage before rental and after return.  When rentals are used to go from one country to another the renter should ask if any additional documentation related to the insurance coverage is required to ensure coverage for all locations of use, i.e. voids of coverage related to border crossings.  Accidents involving rental vehicles being used for personal travel are not covered by the Commonwealth plan. If you use a rental vehicle for personal business, you should check with your personal auto coverage to ensure coverage exists under your personal policy.  Accidents with rental vehicles on official business of the university should be reported in accordance with the checklist printed in this section.

  • Vehicle/Equipment Rentals – Proof of insurance may be requested for vehicle or equipment rentals. Virginia Tech provides coverage for vehicles including light duty trucks less than 10,000 lbs. valued up to the limit of $35,000.  Examples of equipment rentals would be a copier or a heavy piece of equipment such as a tractor.  There are several exclusions associated with non-typical rentals such as campers, trailers, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, motor scooters, recreational vehicles, convertibles, exotic vehicles or luxury vehicles.  Please contact the Office of Risk Management to ensure your particular use does not exclude coverage.

Please note - Domestic travelers should make use of the Virginia Tech Enterprise contract which also includes National Car Rental at locations across the country. This contract includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). Beginning July 1, 2019, departments will be responsible for the $1000 deductible for damages to rental vehicles that were not rented under our contract. This includes truck rentals that are currently excluded from our contracts.  In addition, administrative fees that cannot be waived or negotiated will be charged to the department. A specific customer ID is required to obtain favorable rates and coverages. Details are available on Procurements website.

The Bank of America Corporate Travel Card is the preferred method of payment for rental vehicles. Use of a personal credit card could result in the Commonwealth coverage becoming secondary for damages.

Rental vehicles driven off road are not covered under the Commonwealth’s Leased Care program.

Accidents involving personal vehicles, even when being used for business purposes, are the responsibility of the owner.  The Commonwealth’s insurance program applies to non-owned, borrowed and hired vehicles on an excess basis only.  This insurance would only apply if the personal automobile liability limits were exhausted and Virginia Tech was determined to be liable by a court of law because the representative was conducting university business. 

Automobile insurance does not apply to Electric/Gas Utility Vehicles (EGUV) without State License Plates.  The tort claims process will need to be initiated for at-fault accidents by Virginia Tech employees using EGUV vehicles.

Related Documents:

EGUV Procedure

If you are traveling on approved University Business and are unable to contact the Office of Risk Management and need to show verification of liability coverage, this documentation may meet your needs.

Related Documents: