Virginia Tech® home

Report an Accident, Incident, or Claim

The Office of Risk Management & Insurance manages all insurance claims for the University. Please review the information below and report accidents and claims to our office.

Prefer to talk to someone now? Our staff is available Monday-Friday, 8-5 at (540) 231-7439.

Rather fill out a paper form? Here are the Auto Accident Report Form and General Incident Report Form.


Any accident involving a University and/or state licensed or rented vehicle must follow very specific reporting requirements--this is true regardless of fault or extent of damage. 

What To Do If You're In an Accident

  1. Call 911 if there are any injuries.
  2. Report the accident to the State Police (cell: #77) if off-campus, or VTPD (911 or 540-382-4343) if on-campus.
  3. Obtain names, addresses, and phone numbers of any people involved in the accident, including drivers, passengers, and witnesses.
  4. Note property damage to vehicles or other property.
  5. Notify your supervisor.
  6. Report to Fleet Services at 540-231-6141.
  7. Report the claim to the Office of Risk Management by completing the paperwork in your state-owned vehicle and emailing it to us, or by reporting to our office online or by phone.

Additional information on what to do in the case of an accident can be found here or in your state-owned vehicle. Need evidence of insurance? Click here.

State Police Emergency Numbers

The Commonwealth’s insurance provides coverage of University-owned or otherwise insured property for theft, vandalism, etc. or destruction by wind, water, freeze, and other covered causes of loss, including property in transit.

What To Do if Something Breaks or is Damaged

  1. If there is a threat to you or other people, evacuate the building, and follow your building's EAP.
  2. Report to VTPD if emergency services are needed at 911 (or 540-382-4343 for non-emergency), or if the damage may be caused by theft or vandalism.
  3. Report to Virginia Tech Facilities at 540-231-4300.
  4. If safe, take any possible measures to prevent further loss. This could involve moving equipment, covering equipment, turning off a hose, etc.
  5. Report the potential claim to the Office of Risk Management by phone, email, or completing the form at the top of this page.
  6. If the damage affects a tagged asset, report to Fixed Assets and Equipment Inventory Services.
  7. Once the immediate response is over, begin claim documentation process.
Claim Documentation

The insurance claim process requires specific, and sometimes fairly extensive, supporting documentation. Here are a few pointers to get you started on collecting paperwork related to your VT property loss. Please note that departments will have a $1,000 deductible on any property claims.

  1. Take pictures of damaged items or areas. For larger areas, slow videos panning the space can be helpful.
  2. Proof of ownership is required for damaged or stolen items. This can be a copy of the original purchase paperwork (PO, invoice, etc.), or a copy of the FAEIS inventory listing the item.
  3. You will need to decide if the property can be repaired. If it can be repaired, a quote for repair should be obtained. If it cannot be repaired, a quote for an identical or item of like kind and quality should be obtained.

The claims process can take time. The earlier you contact Risk Management, the sooner we can begin helping you through the claims process. All documentation should be submitted within 6 months of the date of loss for small claims, and within 1 year for claims over $25,000.

Persons who believe that they have suffered an injury or property loss because of the University’s negligence may file a Notice of Claim for appropriate relief.  All tort claims must be filed with the appropriate State office in accordance with Section 8.01-195.6 of the CODE OF VIRGINIA.  For claims being sent to the Division of Risk Management (DRM) use the following link Commonwealth of Virginia Office of Risk Management.  The claim should specify how the University was negligent, detailing the time, place, persons involved and what occurred.  The claim should also state the dollar amount claimed. DRM will assign a claim number, forward notice of claim to agency for investigation, and negotiate directly with the claimant.  In the event DRM and the claimant are unable to reach an agreement on the settlement, the claimant will be free to attempt to settle the matter through litigation.  A courtesy copy for the Office of Risk Management is appreciated.  Code of Virginia (Tort Claims Act)

Employees who are injured may be eligible for workers compensation.  Questions concerning workers compensation should be referred to Human Resources – Workers Compensation at 540-231-7778.  Volunteers who are injured are not covered by workers compensation.  Injuries sustained by volunteers are their responsibility and must be covered by their personal healthcare insurance policy.  Any issues relating to workplace safety should be referred to Environmental Health and Safety Services Occupational Safety Division at 540-231-5985.

Refer to Human Resources for more information.